CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Nashville Story

I've realized that many people don't know the story of how I ended up in Nashville, so I thought this would be a good place to share.
Back in January, God began stirring my heart to pray for what he had next for me. I loved where I was at in life ~ amazing friends, great job, cool apartment, living in Arlington ~ so I was very hesitant at first. But I just started praying that God would lead me where he wanted.
In March, I knew that it was time to start doing my research on places to move outside of Arlington. So I started dreaming with the Lord on this. My list of places was Nashville, Chicago, DC, Boston...and an outside thought of Austin too. (Who wouldn't want to live in the land of Longhorns?!)
In April, I made my first "vision trip." And it turned out to be my only. I came to Nashville and fell in love with the town. My friend Natalie, who so graciously hosted me that weekend, and I had numerous conversations that weekend about God's majesty and how he shows off in the trees of the area. God had worked things out that, looking back now, I see why he worked the way he did. I actually had an interview with the office I'm working at now, which a friend from Texas connected me to. And I tagged along with Natalie to a baby shower, where I met several of her friends ~ three of which are now my roommates. God is so good to go before us and work out the details. And when I got back to Texas and was having my Bible study time that week, the verse the Lord sent me to the very first day I was back was from Psalm 96. It talks about how the trees show off God's majesty and splendor and that they even praise the Lord. Okay God - I get it. Nashville is a yes.
Due to the fact that I was involved with several weddings this summer (including my youngest brother'), life did not permit me to move until late August. My original plan was to move after September 7, the fifth anniversary of Connect Church, where I was working at the time. Well, God had other plans. I received a phone call in mid-July, offering me a job...that would start as soon as I could get to Nashville. Honestly, I was completely taken by surprise. I had continued to pray about the job/move throughout the summer, but I was holding off until after my brother's wedding (July 26) to actively seek a job and/or place to live in Nashville. And here it was, a week & a half before his wedding, and I had a job lined up!
The day after I accepted the job in Nashville and was realizing that I needed to figure out where I was going to stay, I got a phone call from my friend Natalie. She said that Mary Anna, Emily, & Amy had called her to see if I was still moving up to Nashville b/c they had a spot in their house coming open. Seriously?! God is so good! After a series of emails, I had a place to live lined up.
Here I was, a couple of weeks from my brother's wedding and now leaving Texas earlier than I had planned...keyword "I." Isn't it so like God to do things differently than we think he will? I knew through all this that I was doing exactly what he wanted and was following in his will for my life, even as I had to do the hardest part and resign my position at Connect. Turning in that letter was one of the hardest things I have done in my life...especially since this is now the third time I've worked for my pastor.
So all that said, I'm now here in Nashville...have been for 3 weeks now, walking the path the Lord has laid out for me. It's so fun! I do love it. I'm not saying it isn't hard. I have my moments where I desperately miss Texas ~ my family, my incredible friends, my church, Mexican food. But I know that this is exactly what God has...and there's no place better to be than in the middle of his will.

2 comments:

Christen said...

That is such a great story. Isn't it wonderful knowing you are exactly where you are supposed to be? I hope life in Nashville is treating you well! I love you a ton :) BISOUS

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to say that this message was from me, but it's Sissi btw. :)

Natrudy said...

Can I just say for the record that I am SO glad that God brought you here? Seriously, who would've thought we would be living in the same city AGAIN! I'm so thankful I got to be a part of this story.